Time: August 28, 2011 from 7am to 2pm
Location: Endras BMW Dealership
Street: 100 Achillies Rd.
Website or Map: http://www.labicicletta.com/g…
Event Type: grand, fondo
Organized By: DY
Latest Activity: Aug 27, 2011
The 4th annual La Bicicletta Gran Fondo incorporates the best aspects of cycling into one special event. There’s a great spread of food before the ride, you get a snazzy new Giordana event jersey, hop on your bike with great people, use that as an excuse to eat more great seasonal food afterwards, win cool prizes, and still get home before getting into too much trouble.
This year we have the special honour of Michael Barry joining us. Michael is one of Canada’s most accomplished cyclists, now a hardened veteran of the European professional peloton, and respected author, to boot. Both groups will get to ride with him. Following just behind in coolness, the entire Jet Fuel Coffee – La Bicicletta racing team will act as ride marshals. Talk shop with them! In addition, the all new Pinarello Dogma2 bicycle will be on hand, which nobody else in North America has.
You’ll be pleasantly surprised to discover how remote and awesome this year’s route is. Despite being so close to the city, you’d never think of venturing there on your own. The two route options are:
(1) Medio Fondo route: 80km long, with a leisurely 20-25 km/h average speed observed. The route hugs Lake Ontario on mostly quiet country backroads, with some gently rolling terrain. To spice things up, there is one 100 meter section of hard-packed gravel- channel your inner hard-man spirit! We have a lead motorcycle (so you don’t have to worry about directions), a mechanical support vehicle following closely behind, and two rest stops with food and drink en route.
(2) Gran Fondo route: 130km long, with a steady 35km/h average speed. The route features lots of rollers with sections to test your legs against some of the best bike racers in the country (go head-to-head against Michael Barry, or the Jet Fuel boys!). Stragglers will not be abandoned, though. There is a lead moto (so you don’t have to worry about directions), a mechanical support vehicle following closely behind, and two rest stops with food and drink en route.
This year’s attractions:
• Valet car & bike parking.
• Michael Barry, Canada's favourite professional bike racer, will ride with both groups.
• Jet Fuel Coffee – La Bicicletta team riders will be our ride marshals.
• BMW lead motorcycles, and SAG wagons with mechanical support closely at hand.
• The new Pinarello Dogma2 bicycle on exhibit (which nobody else in North America has).
• Rest stops en route with food and drink to recharge your energy.
• Two meals with lots of yummy food, with wine and beer.
• Two head-to-toe Assos kits- one men’s and another woman’s.
• Oakley custom sunglasses.