2006 Specialized Epic Marathon with Custom Build - SOLD!!!

Being requested to cull the herd...

I'm selling my size medium 2006 Specialized Epic Marathon - like all my bikes, this was a custom build so it doesn't quite match the stock build.  It's actually not too far off, so I've given you the link to Specialized's bike archive listing.

The most significant changes are:

• the stock wheels were upgraded to 2006 Mavic CrossMax SL tubeless (UST)
  • the stock Fox F100 FRT fork was upgraded to a Rockshox Reba World Cup with remote lockout
  • the stock XT disc brakes and levers were upgraded to Magura Marta disc brakes and levers
  • the XT crankset was upgraded to an XTR crankset
  • the XT bottom bracket was upgraded to an XTR BB

Each of these changes was made to reduce the weight of the bike. I also replaced the stock headset with a Chris King set for durability when I swapped out the stock fork.

At some point the quick release seat post binder was also swapped out for a non-QR style.  That wasn't about weight; the old quick release used to slip.  I don't recall what kind of binder I used (probably something hanging around in the parts bin).

The bike is currently outfitted with Larsen TT UST tires and Crank Bros. Ti Eggbeater pedals.  I've also got one extra (never mounted) Larsen tire as well as extra (slightly used but lots of life left) XTR rings that I'll throw in.

At any rate, the bike is definitely used and has some cosmetic "defects", but it has been well maintained and is in pretty decent shape.  That being said, it does need a little bit of work - new cables and bleeding the brakes - that I've been meaning to do for a while, but just haven't had the time.

I'm selling the bike "as is" with the expectation that the new owner will pay someone to take care of this.  Please note that while you could certainly ride the bike without new cables, the brakes definitely need to be bled before you take it off road.

I'm asking $750.00 for the bike and the "extras" mentioned above.  If you're interested, please send me a message or post below.  Note that I'm also going to post the bike on Pinkbike.com and CanadianCyclist.com so don't wait too long!

Views: 900

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Peter, what size is the bike?

The bike is a "Men's Medium" frame - roughly equivalent to what used to be called 17.5".  Specialized offered S, M, L, XL sizes.

If you want to be specific:

Horizontal top tube length = 589mm

Standover height (measured vertically at centre of TT) = 753mm

Head Tube length = 110mm

Head Tube angle = 70.5 deg.

Seat Tube angle = 74 deg.

BB Height = 331mm

Wheelbase = 1094mm

Chainstay length = 426mm

Ok, thanks.  I'm not too familiar with mountain bike sizing. For someone who is 5'11" and a bit, would this be more-or-less a decent size?

To be honest, it will probably be a little on the small size (I'm only 174cm - a bit under 5'9"). However, sizing is as much a function of torso length, leg length, riding style, and rider flexibility as is overall height (especially for MTB bikes which have extremely sloped top tubes compared to road bikes) so you never know.
You are welcome to try it out to see how it feels.

Ok thanks.  It might be worth trying it out sometime.

Is this still up for sale? To small for me but I have someone looking for a good MTB and this is similar to mine.

I have an offer from someone else, but if it falls through I'll let you know.

RSS

BCC Rides

Cycling in the summer can be about casual riding, sprinting, spinning, big-ring hammerfests or what ever your chosen type of riding is. The BCC was founded for the sole purpose to network cyclists. It has grown into a successful club which accommodates Riders at almost all skill/fitness levels. Everyone should be able to participate and have fun at their respective levels.

Weekend Rides: 

Saturday

Saturday Morning
Start time is 8:00am early season, 7:00am as days get longer. Route distances vary from 55-120km and several pace groups are available. Saturday morning rides focus on a social vibe.

Sunday

Sunrise Sundays
Rides will start around sunrise. Rotating routes will focus on distances from 55-160km.  Remote start rides outside the GTA.

Weekly Rides:

Tuesday

Advanced Turbo Tuesdays
For this ride, advanced group riding and bike handling skills are required. You must also be aware of your limitations. Riding speed is 35kph+.

Thursday

Hillicious Thursdays
Starts at 5:40am. This ride includes Bayview, pottery rd, redway other local hills.

Tues/Thurs

CX/MTB Ride

Starts at 5:30AM. Bring your CX or MTB out for a great Don trail ride. Some weeks, we'll head to a local park to practice CX skills.

Informal Rides Click Here

Other Rides:

Race Team

BCC Race Team
Please join if you will be racing in 2018 as part of the BCC Race Team!

Track Cycling

BCC Track Cycling Group

A place where those interested in, or already addicted to, riding the boards can share info.

BCC Youth

BCC Youth Group

An initiative to have weekly skills sessions and rides for young riders.

Interested in finding a new route or refreshing your memory on an old faithful? Check out the Routes page.

BCC on Strava

Members

Latest Activity

Harris Silver commented on DY's event End of Season Party - Friday November 15th 2019 - 7PM
yesterday
Tim White commented on DY's event End of Season Party - Friday November 15th 2019 - 7PM
yesterday
Peter Sutton commented on DY's event End of Season Party - Friday November 15th 2019 - 7PM
Nov 8
Howard Calvert commented on DY's event End of Season Party - Friday November 15th 2019 - 7PM
Nov 8
DY commented on DY's event Dream Cyclery Customer Appreciation Night
Nov 7
Keld Juulsgaard commented on DY's event Dream Cyclery Customer Appreciation Night
Nov 6
DY posted an event
Thumbnail

Dream Cyclery Customer Appreciation Night at Dream Cyclery

November 8, 2019 from 5pm to 9pm
Nov 6
Dave Ogilvie commented on DY's event End of Season Party - Friday November 15th 2019 - 7PM
Oct 24
Mike McInnis commented on DY's event End of Season Party - Friday November 15th 2019 - 7PM
Oct 19
DY posted an event
Thumbnail

End of Season Party - Friday November 15th 2019 - 7PM at Via Mercanti(1501 Gerrard St. Location)

November 15, 2019 from 7pm to 10:30pm
Oct 19
Brent Nykoliation commented on Chris Mount's event 2019 BCC EOS Ride - Belfountain/Caledon/Forks of the Credit
Oct 4
Bernadette Crowe commented on Chris Mount's event 2019 BCC EOS Ride - Belfountain/Caledon/Forks of the Credit
Oct 4
Harris Silver commented on Chris Mount's event 2019 BCC EOS Ride - Belfountain/Caledon/Forks of the Credit
Oct 4
Jon Spira commented on Chris Mount's event 2019 BCC EOS Ride - Belfountain/Caledon/Forks of the Credit
Oct 3
Jorge Chaves commented on Chris Mount's event 2019 BCC EOS Ride - Belfountain/Caledon/Forks of the Credit
Oct 3
Robert Jones commented on Chris Mount's event 2019 BCC EOS Ride - Belfountain/Caledon/Forks of the Credit
Oct 3

© 2019   Created by DY.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service