Post only the Cool Stuff! Random Stuff....

Views: 320

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The following is from Velonews, probably a worthy read if you crash your ride.

Q: Often a rider will hit the pavement in a pile-up only to remount his carbon bike and continue on his way after only a cursory assessment of his bike. Do you consider this to be dangerous? More to the point: after a previously crashed bike makes its way into your hands, would you discard the frame regardless of appearances or carefully examine every single centimeter and continue to use it if it passes inspection?

A: It’s true that carbon and big impact are not the best of friends. If you jump back on your bike after a crash, you are taking the small risk of riding a potentially broken frame. But then you lined up in a race, so you’re used to some risk. When I’m in the team car, if there is any doubt about the safety of a bike, we give the rider a spare. It’s safer and it’s faster than waiting for it to show up later in the race and require a second stop.

Many times riders will go down and be back up and rolling before their mechanic even gets to the scene. In these cases, I feel the risk is low. Crashes can be freaky. Sometimes the rider doesn’t walk away and the bike doesn’t have a scratch, and sometimes an unscathed rider is stranded with a mangled bike. If they ride away, they’re probably fine. Once the chaos of the crash scene is behind him, the rider will often come back to the team car and check in with his mechanic.

If you pick up your bike from a crash and roll away, the likelihood of a catastrophic carbon bike failure is low. If it is broken or cracked, the bike may feel strange or soft. Lance Armstong’s encounter with a fan’s musette is rumored to have broken his chainstay. He not only finished on the bike, but won the stage. (I’m not encouraging anyone to ride a broken bike!)

Once the day is done, every bike is thoroughly inspected. If we had riders on the deck or involved in a crash, extra attention is paid to their bike. Often we’ll pull the fork and check the steerer. We often disassemble the bar/stem junction as well. After inspection and a bolt check, they’re good to go.

As I mentioned above in the Roubaix question, there is no need to categorically throw items away. If there is any doubt though, in the dumpster it goes.
for sure random, how do you get on and off?

That's insane! It must take a million foot pounds, Nm, whatever, of tourque to spin up. Mind you, once moving...

COOL PEDALS FROM LOOK and POLAR!

If you were wondering, my birthday is in June.

Jeff

Another part that will have you waiting, but should be worth the wait is the new joint venture from LOOK and POLAR.

Both are European-based originals (from France & Finland respectively), and both are very good at what they do. So their combined forward thinking has resulted in a power measurement system that combines Look pedals with a Polar computer for display and data collection- and it’s the first system to measure power at the pedals.

Look are the guys who perfected the clipless pedal and set us all on the path to strapless enlightenment, so it makes sense that they’re pushing the boundary again, this time with a strain gauge built into the pedal spindle to measure force as you crank out the mega-watts. Each pedal has 8 strain gauges built in, and a separate transmitter in each also.

Both Polar’s CS600X and CS500 cycling computers will work with the system, and the standard thread pedals will work with any crankset – making switching bikes pretty easy. The system measures data from the right- and left-side pedals independently (and can be displayed on the CS600X), which should help a lot of riders correct any power imbalance.

Expect these to land here around Spring 2011, and do our best to beat the rush for a full review.

Very cool and if it actually launches on schedule worth considering. But first to "the first system to measure power at the pedals", sorry Jeff, MetriGear beat these guys to the punch by two years, they just have not starting selling their product, yet.

http://www.metrigear.com/products/

Look KeO Power Pedals
Look and Polar collaborate on new Power Pedals, which debuted at Eurobike in Friedrichshafen, Germany.
ByJoe Lindsey

Specs:
- 448 grams (both pedals and transmitters)
- Compatible with 170, 172.5, 175 and 177mm cranks
- User-replaceable transmitter batteries
- 400 hour battery life (five months if used daily for three hours a day)
- +/- two percent accuracy variance
- Works with: Polar CS600x, CS600, CS500 computers
- Stainless steel axle, injected carbon body, compatible with all KeO cleats for 0, 4, 5 or 9 degrees of float

- IP 67 standards for dust and water resistance (dustproof, watertight to 1m)

PHOTO: The system is only compatible with Polar bike computers.

Suggested retail isn't final yet, but it's expected to retail for between $1,900-$2,300 (Polar currently quotes prices at 1,500-1,800 Euro, so dollar prices may go up or down from there based on exchange rates.) That includes the pedals and transmitters, but no head unit.

So, about those head units. Polar is sticking with its W.I.N.D. transmission standard rather than go to ANT-plus. That means you'll need a Polar CS600X, CS600 or CS500 computer head unit to log data and download it to your computer.

I asked Lauka why, with the power industry going so strongly to ANT+, that Polar stuck with its own proprietary standard. He replied that Polar sees the future of wireless transmission as low-power Bluetooth.

W.I.N.D. is set up to be able to make that transition fairly smoothly, and Lauka said that ANT+ may actually be overtaken by low-power Bluetooth within a couple of years, forcing other powermeter companies to revise their standards. I haven't yet had the chance to talk with others in the industry to see if they agree with that assessment of ANT+.

If you already have one of the Polar computers, it's compatible with the KeO Power out of the box, no retrofit or software download needed. And Lauka said Polar will provide third-party download capability to popular training programs like Training Peaks.

At this point, the biggest question is whether they'll hit their deadline. Look's Arthur Espos said the KeO Power has been years in development, but Lauka conceded that little real-world testing in pro racing has been done (they have tested it elsewhere).

Lauka said the company doesn't plan to race-test the system much this fall and that there are a few final details to be sorted out. But they are planning on a spring 2011 launch.

Stay tuned to Bicycling.com for more news, reviews, and photo galleries from Eurobike 2010

This ought to be Thi's new saddle bag.

I picked up some Five Ten "Minnaar" shoes. Here's a link to my review:

http://raganwald.posterous.com/review-five-ten-minnaar-cycling-shoes
If you're interested in cycling history, Legends of Cycling is a podcast narrated by Graham Jones, a legend himself.  The 8 episodes total about an hour and are very entertaining.  I will say the quality is poor in spots but worth the time none the less.

I need help, seriously I have a really bad addiction! I haven't even finished paying for my new bike and then those bastards at Specialized gave me yet another reason to start drooling! Damn... Damn, damn, damn!!

From Velonews: Specialized to launch aero road bikes at Milan-San Remo; Cav among ...

There is already lots of marketing material on the Specialized Website.

If anyone is looking for a new and improved lid for the 2011 season check out this product.

M

RSS

BCC Rides

Cycling in the summer can be about casual riding, sprinting, spinning, big-ring hammerfests or what ever your chosen type of riding is. The BCC was founded for the sole purpose to network cyclists. It has grown into a successful club which accommodates Riders at almost all skill/fitness levels. Everyone should be able to participate and have fun at their respective levels.

Weekend Rides: 

Saturday

Saturday Morning
Start time is 8:00am early season, 7:00am as days get longer. Route distances vary from 55-120km and several pace groups are available. Saturday morning rides focus on a social vibe.

Sunday

Sunrise Sundays
Rides will start around sunrise. Rotating routes will focus on distances from 55-160km.  Remote start rides outside the GTA.

Weekly Rides:

Tuesday

Advanced Turbo Tuesdays
For this ride, advanced group riding and bike handling skills are required. You must also be aware of your limitations. Riding speed is 35kph+.

Thursday

Hillicious Thursdays
Starts at 5:40am. This ride includes Bayview, pottery rd, redway other local hills.

Tues/Thurs

CX/MTB Ride

Starts at 5:30AM. Bring your CX or MTB out for a great Don trail ride. Some weeks, we'll head to a local park to practice CX skills.

Informal Rides Click Here

Other Rides:

Race Team

BCC Race Team
Please join if you will be racing in 2018 as part of the BCC Race Team!

Track Cycling

BCC Track Cycling Group

A place where those interested in, or already addicted to, riding the boards can share info.

BCC Youth

BCC Youth Group

An initiative to have weekly skills sessions and rides for young riders.

Interested in finding a new route or refreshing your memory on an old faithful? Check out the Routes page.

Events

BCC on Strava

Members

Latest Activity

Harris Silver commented on DY's event End of Season Party - Friday November 15th 2019 - 7PM
Nov 13
Tim White commented on DY's event End of Season Party - Friday November 15th 2019 - 7PM
Nov 13
Peter Sutton commented on DY's event End of Season Party - Friday November 15th 2019 - 7PM
Nov 8
Howard Calvert commented on DY's event End of Season Party - Friday November 15th 2019 - 7PM
Nov 8
DY commented on DY's event Dream Cyclery Customer Appreciation Night
Nov 7
Keld Juulsgaard commented on DY's event Dream Cyclery Customer Appreciation Night
Nov 6
DY posted an event
Thumbnail

Dream Cyclery Customer Appreciation Night at Dream Cyclery

November 8, 2019 from 5pm to 9pm
Nov 6
Dave Ogilvie commented on DY's event End of Season Party - Friday November 15th 2019 - 7PM
Oct 24
Mike McInnis commented on DY's event End of Season Party - Friday November 15th 2019 - 7PM
Oct 19
DY posted an event
Thumbnail

End of Season Party - Friday November 15th 2019 - 7PM at Via Mercanti(1501 Gerrard St. Location)

November 15, 2019 from 7pm to 10:30pm
Oct 19
Brent Nykoliation commented on Chris Mount's event 2019 BCC EOS Ride - Belfountain/Caledon/Forks of the Credit
Oct 4
Bernadette Crowe commented on Chris Mount's event 2019 BCC EOS Ride - Belfountain/Caledon/Forks of the Credit
Oct 4
Harris Silver commented on Chris Mount's event 2019 BCC EOS Ride - Belfountain/Caledon/Forks of the Credit
Oct 4
Jon Spira commented on Chris Mount's event 2019 BCC EOS Ride - Belfountain/Caledon/Forks of the Credit
Oct 3
Jorge Chaves commented on Chris Mount's event 2019 BCC EOS Ride - Belfountain/Caledon/Forks of the Credit
Oct 3
Robert Jones commented on Chris Mount's event 2019 BCC EOS Ride - Belfountain/Caledon/Forks of the Credit
Oct 3

© 2019   Created by DY.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service