What works for you, Links Etc.

Views: 27

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Another link worth checking out. http://www.medioncorp.com/hm/inside.php?sid=9
Here is a little summary from a seminar by Dr. Stoddard that I attended at Wattsup. I am not an expert, you should review lots of sources and do what makes sense.

In a nutshell - he said that the body ONLY needs 3 things during racing and exercise: WATER, CARBOHYDRATES and ELECTROLYTES.
You should not be putting other stuff into the system.
He says do not eat Fiber, fats, or protein before or during exercise as they:
-will divert resources from the muscles to the digestive system,
-will not be absorbed or useable until hours later,
-will just sit in the digestive system causing distress.
Eat the fiber, fats and proteins after exercise in your recovery meal (within 20 min of the end of effort)

1. Water: he suggests that your water intake should match your sweat rate.
Take more water and you will feel bloated, take less and your performance will rapidly decrease. The sweat rate is personal and related to the effort and environment. Hard effort = more sweat, hot day = more sweat. Use (your weight before) plus (the water taken in) minus (your weight after) then divide by (exercise time) to get your rate in [liters / hour].
1liter = 1 kg or 2.2 lbs, a large water bottle = 750ml = .75 kg = 1.65lbs

2. Carbohydrates: suggests that you need to consume 2cal of carb per lb of body wt per hour, or you will run out of gas (bonk). So for a 180 lb person you need 360 cal per hour. ( one gel every 20 minutes) or maybe one bottle of sports drink plus 2 gels.

3. Electrolytes: sodium, magnesium, potassium ... helps water absorption, muscle and nervous system function ...

The actual amounts of each, required to ensure good performance, will be different for different people, events, weather conditions, so you should remember or note what you did and what the outcome was. By paying attention you can improve your performance and enjoyment.

Attached is the power point presentation "eload seminar" It explains using the ELOAD products, I am sure the concepts will work with other products if ELOAD is not your preference.

for more info you should look at the website - http://www.medioncorp.com/hm/inside.php?sid=9
Attachments:
Hi All,

Some friends have a little Bistro in the Annex and have started selling a line of Roti / Bean Wraps at other locations. Azzarello Bros next to the Cycle Solutions is carrying them as well as Saks at the corner of Main & Gerrard. They are tasty, made with good ingredients, full of protein and relatively cheap. Perfect snack after rides. Try one out!

Details of each flavour attached.

Jason C
Attachments:
Here is a little bit on Magnesium.... Emile SWEARS by it...... http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium.asp

Cheers,

D.
Read this and thought about the Electrolyte supplement I use for Hot Yoga. Tried popping one last night and again this morning. Feel awesome. Will add this to my "lessons learned" for biking. :) ME
Courtesy of Tim Fletcher/Hannah:

Power Bars (care of Hannah)

1 c. chopped pecans
1 c. chopped almonds
2/3 c. coconut

2 c. oats
1/2 c. crisp brown rice cereal
1/4 c. ground flax

1/2 c. brown rice syrup
1/2 c. honey
1/4 c. cane sugar
1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 tbsp ground espresso

chocolate chips

- Preheat oven to 350F
- Butter a 9" square pan, sprinkle the bottom with chocolate chips, and set aside
- Toast the nuts and coconut in a single layer until the coconut is golden and the nuts are fragrant (7 - 10 mins)
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, cereal and ground flax.
- Once the nuts are toasted, stir them into the oats mixture - make sure everything is well distributed
- In a medium pot on the stove, combine the brown rice syrup, honey, cane sugar, salt and ground espresso. Heat over med-low heat until the honey and syrup have softened and are quite liquid
- Increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil, stirring often
- Boil 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Quickly stir the sauce into the oats mixture - make sure everything gets well coated. Move quickly here, as the syrup will start to harden almost at once.
- Still moving quickly: scrape the mixture into the prepared pan, sprinkle chocolate chips over the whole mess, then butter your hands and pat the mixture down into the pan firmly.
- Allow to cool a couple hours, then cut into 16 bars.

These keep for about a week on the counter, longer in the fridge, and indefinitely in the freezer, if well wrapped.

Note: The chewiness of the bars can be modified by altering the length of time you boil the syrup/honey mixture. Longer boil = harder bars :)

More notes: Of course, mix up the recipe as you like. I usually sub in spelt flakes for some of the oats, and the composition of nuts (pecans, walnuts, peanuts) can change too - just keep the proportions the same. Dried fruit can be mixed into the oats too, although they will make the bars softer. One thing, however - do not use corn syrup instead of the honey or brown rice syrup this recipe, as the bars will not firm up. Ever.

Nutritional info:

Amount Per Serving
Calories 234.0
Total Fat 11.2 g
Saturated Fat 2.4 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2.8 g
Monounsaturated Fat 5.4 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 99.1 mg
Potassium 190.9 mg
Total Carbohydrate 37.9 g
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
Sugars 18.1 g
Protein 3.8 g

Vitamin A 0.4 %
Vitamin B-12 0.8 %
Vitamin B-6 3.3 %
Vitamin C 0.6 %
Vitamin D 0.3 %
Vitamin E 9.9 %
Calcium 3.1 %
Copper 14.2 %
Folate 4.9 %
Iron 9.8 %
Magnesium 15.2 %
Manganese 73.4 %
Niacin 3.6 %
Pantothenic Acid 3.6 %
Phosphorus 15.3 %
Riboflavin 6.1 %
Selenium 1.2 %
Thiamin 15.0 %
Zinc 9.0 %

(based on a 2,000 calorie diet)
Just came across this beauty, this is my new modivation to loose weight... and not eat like a North American.
Home Made Sports Drink

I have been looking for a way make my own sports drink for a long time and came across the article below.

Some reasons I continued to use powdered electrolytes was because I thought the powders were so scientifically advanced, nothing in nature could possibly do the same job. As usual there seem to be much cheaper, simpler and healthier solutions.

http://www.raw-food-health.net/Homemade-Sports-Drink.html

In the article the author gives some examples of fruits & veg they blend with water. Personally, I wouldn't want fibers or "floaters" in my drink while racing or exerting myself however I am fortunate enough to own a nice juicer. I am going to give celery and watermelon juice a try.
I have to admit Jason I'm not keen on that article. I was reading it and a few things threw me, then I remembered, they are probably talking about Gatorade and crap like that and not the fancy stuff that you mix yourself. Then I read this bit:

And so they came upon their formula - brilliantly mixing salt water that doesn't quench your thirst and complex carbohydrates that won't satisfy your hunger. And why does it sell so well? Because of how well it doesn't satisfy our needs. You have to keep coming back for more, but more is never enough. It's brilliant, really.

See that's largely bogus. Salt is a rather poor description of a complex mix of ions. Straight sodium chloride in an aqueous solution (i.e. ocean water) is not healthy, too much sodium can kill a person. But sodium, potassium, magnesium, and pretty much half the metals in the periodic table, taken in very small quanantities are essential. Also, saying that simple carbs are better is patently BS, sorry but it is. Question, which do you think is healthy, celery or a coke? Coke is almost nothing but water and simple carbs (anything that ends with ose is a simple carb, glocouse, fructose, dextrose), celery is all complex sugars or polysaccharides. There is some chemical effort to brake a polysaccharide down into its monosaccharide form but this takes place naturally in the stomach - thank you stomach acid. The major advantage of polysaccharides over monosaccharides; however, is the fact that polysaccharides defuse more than twice as effectively as monosaccharides, net result, complex surgars actually feed you more effectively than say high fructose corn syrup.

Its not to say that blended fruits and vegetables won't do the job, they will, but they will work becuase the author of that web page litterally got his facts completely wrong. Ironically the author wrote:

"The banana is usually a good choice" and "In the vegetable category, I like celery the best because of its high sodium content and quick digestion". Yet those two foods have some of the lowest monosaccharide to polysaccharide ratios of any fruit/veg. (They also have tons of other important electrolytes, bananas are loaded with potassium.)

So while the end advice is reasonably sound, the author frankly, doesn't know what they are talking about. But then that's obvious if you read this far: "Generally, endurance sports such as sprinting or long-distance running pose" unless my definition of sprinting is not the same as the authors... Anyway celery and watermelon juice should work quite well, but you may want to pack some soy milk as well if the event is more than two hours long.

Found this in today's Globe.

[Y]our muscles really do need more carbohydrate during exercise lasting longer than two hours. Even the most quickly absorbed carbohydrates (glucose and maltodextrin) can only pass from your intestine into your blood stream at a rate of about 60 grams (a little more than 200 calories) an hour – not enough to keep up with demand during intense exercise.

To get around this limit, Dr. Jeukendrup realized he could mix different carbohydrates that are absorbed from the intestine through separate mechanisms. While fructose is only absorbed at 30 grams an hour, it doesn’t interfere with glucose absorption. That means glucose and fructose mixed in a 2:1 ratio can be absorbed as quickly as 90 grams an hour.

[...]

For Ironman athletes such as Ms. McGlone, the ability to absorb up to 90 grams an hour of carbohydrate is crucial, though it takes practice to tolerate such a high intake without stomach upset. More generally, Dr. Jeukendrup says, the glucose-fructose mix is important only for sustained exercise lasting more than about three hours. But if you’re trying to avoid bonking during a marathon or long bike ride, it could be the key.

RSS

BCC Rides

Cycling in the summer can be about casual riding, sprinting, spinning, big-ring hammerfests or what ever your chosen type of riding is. The BCC was founded for the sole purpose to network cyclists. It has grown into a successful club which accommodates Riders at almost all skill/fitness levels. Everyone should be able to participate and have fun at their respective levels.

Weekend Rides: 

Saturday

Saturday Morning
Start time is 8:00am early season, 7:00am as days get longer. Route distances vary from 55-120km and several pace groups are available. Saturday morning rides focus on a social vibe.

Sunday

Sunrise Sundays
Rides will start around sunrise. Rotating routes will focus on distances from 55-160km.  Remote start rides outside the GTA.

Weekly Rides:

Tuesday

Advanced Turbo Tuesdays
For this ride, advanced group riding and bike handling skills are required. You must also be aware of your limitations. Riding speed is 35kph+.

Thursday

Hillicious Thursdays
Starts at 5:40am. This ride includes Bayview, pottery rd, redway other local hills.

Tues/Thurs

CX/MTB Ride

Starts at 5:30AM. Bring your CX or MTB out for a great Don trail ride. Some weeks, we'll head to a local park to practice CX skills.

Informal Rides Click Here

Other Rides:

Race Team

BCC Race Team
Please join if you will be racing in 2018 as part of the BCC Race Team!

Track Cycling

BCC Track Cycling Group

A place where those interested in, or already addicted to, riding the boards can share info.

BCC Youth

BCC Youth Group

An initiative to have weekly skills sessions and rides for young riders.

Interested in finding a new route or refreshing your memory on an old faithful? Check out the Routes page.

Events

BCC on Strava

Members

Latest Activity

Harris Silver commented on DY's event End of Season Party - Friday November 15th 2019 - 7PM
Nov 13
Tim White commented on DY's event End of Season Party - Friday November 15th 2019 - 7PM
Nov 13
Peter Sutton commented on DY's event End of Season Party - Friday November 15th 2019 - 7PM
Nov 8
Howard Calvert commented on DY's event End of Season Party - Friday November 15th 2019 - 7PM
Nov 8
DY commented on DY's event Dream Cyclery Customer Appreciation Night
Nov 7
Keld Juulsgaard commented on DY's event Dream Cyclery Customer Appreciation Night
Nov 6
DY posted an event
Thumbnail

Dream Cyclery Customer Appreciation Night at Dream Cyclery

November 8, 2019 from 5pm to 9pm
Nov 6
Dave Ogilvie commented on DY's event End of Season Party - Friday November 15th 2019 - 7PM
Oct 24
Mike McInnis commented on DY's event End of Season Party - Friday November 15th 2019 - 7PM
Oct 19
DY posted an event
Thumbnail

End of Season Party - Friday November 15th 2019 - 7PM at Via Mercanti(1501 Gerrard St. Location)

November 15, 2019 from 7pm to 10:30pm
Oct 19
Brent Nykoliation commented on Chris Mount's event 2019 BCC EOS Ride - Belfountain/Caledon/Forks of the Credit
Oct 4
Bernadette Crowe commented on Chris Mount's event 2019 BCC EOS Ride - Belfountain/Caledon/Forks of the Credit
Oct 4
Harris Silver commented on Chris Mount's event 2019 BCC EOS Ride - Belfountain/Caledon/Forks of the Credit
Oct 4
Jon Spira commented on Chris Mount's event 2019 BCC EOS Ride - Belfountain/Caledon/Forks of the Credit
Oct 3
Jorge Chaves commented on Chris Mount's event 2019 BCC EOS Ride - Belfountain/Caledon/Forks of the Credit
Oct 3
Robert Jones commented on Chris Mount's event 2019 BCC EOS Ride - Belfountain/Caledon/Forks of the Credit
Oct 3

© 2019   Created by DY.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service